September 29, 2011

Rethinking Living Fence

Well - I've lost nearly all the "living fence" shrubs due to the extreme drought here in Texas. I thought when I planted the Elaeagnus that they could survive without much rain. I guess high temperatures and no rainfall were more than they could take. I noticed around town that the large established ones are dead also. Now, what to replace them with - maybe privet? This blog was suppose to be about transformation - little did I know that the transformation was not forthcoming. But as a gardener there is hope. Maybe the transformation will be - but not this year. 

1 comment:

  1. This was not the year for new plants. I lost so many and I'm still not sure it's safe to start again yet. Sorry that your living fence didn't make it. This weather is not typical, though I would think holly or privet would be durable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete